When compulsive Gamblers apply the 12 step Recovery Programme in their lives, disintegration stops and unification begins. These steps are basically spiritual in their concept, and their practice can be highly rewarding. These are the steps which are suggested as a programme of recovery:
(1) We admitted we were powerless over gambling and our lives had become unmanageable.
(2) Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to a normal way of thinking and living.
(3) Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of this power of our own understanding.
(4) Made a fearless and searching moral and financial inventory of ourselves.
(5) Admitted to ourselves and another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
(6) Were entirely ready to have these defects of character removed.
(7) Humbly ask God (of our own understanding) to remove our shortcomings.
(8) Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all.
(9) Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
(10) Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong, promptly admitted it.
(11) Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understand Him, praying only for the knowledge of his will for us and the power to carry that out.
(12) Having made an effort to practice these principles in all our affairs, we tried to carry this message to other compulsive gamblers.
No-one claims these steps are in any way original to GA They reflect practical experience and application of spiritual insights as recorded by thoughtful men in many ages. Their greatest importance lies in the fact that they work.
They enable us and thousands of others to lead happy, productive lives. They represent the foundation upon which our society has been built.
They were given to us freely, for which we are grateful.